Thursday 6 February 2014

Homemade Poi for Waitangi Day!

Today in New Zealand it is Waitangi Day, a public holiday commemorating the signing of the treaty of Waitangi, their founding document.  Whilst looking at Activity village, for some inspiration for and activity, I found a video of the All Blacks ruby team doing their famous Haka, Arthur was in awe and we had to watch it multiple times, and then he wanted more.  I then noticed a mention of Poi, an ancient dance using balls on a string. After looking at a video I realised it was the same thing I used to do when I was younger, and I still had the Poi easily to hand in the house.  So I showed Arthur the video, then showed him mine.  I then decided to make him some mini ones so he could have a go too, using a ball pool ball, as it is soft and wont hurt if he hit himself, and a sock!

Both Arthur and Alyssa had great fun dancing around the front room to various Maori songs whilst playing with the sock Poi, imitating the Hakaand sticking our tongues out, it's amazing how much fun can be had with a ball and a sock!  I think next time it would be better if I had more colourful socks though! 




No comments:

Post a Comment