Monday 29 July 2013

Ahoy shipmates!

Today we have plasterers in so we were unable to go anywhere, also the weather has been a bit up and down today with sudden heavy showers, so today was an indoor day.  After a bit of thought I decided to have a pirate themed day full of crafts, stories and games to keep Arthur and Alyssa amused, and myself too obviously!

I started off getting Arthur to paint an egg box to create a pirate treasure chest, a map and a jolly roger flag.  Whilst this was being left to dry we sang pirate related songs with a little pirate wash glove I found in a charity shop once for 50p that lives in our song sack! We sang:

Row row row your boat, which Alyssa enjoyed joining in with her big brother rowing,
The big ship sails on the ally ally oh! Lyrics
The pirate song Lyrics
A sailor went to sea, sea, sea Lyrics

And we also read a lovely little story about pirate treasure from Arthur's book 365 stories and rhymes for boys.  Lunchtime rapidly approached and I decided to keep with the theme and make a fleet of ships for tea, open ham finger rolls with pineapple flags!  His afternoon snack was Captain Snots treasure, custard with pineapple, dessicated coconut and sprinkles.

Whilst they where asleep I set up the front room and buried the treasure!  I turned the sofa around to make his ship, the two arm chairs became 'dead mans cave,' I made a 'Cardigan bay', my rubbish humour! And he loves reading a book with his granny called 'Pirates love underpants,' which has a line about 'big knickers bay', so I recreated a mini version of this too.

When he woke up we dressed up in our pirate outfits and searched for the treasure, Alyssa was 'Baby Face Jones', Arthur was 'Captain Snot nose' and I was the 'Evil Captain Orange Tash'!  We all had a great time running around, crawling through caves, jumping rivers and blasting each other with ball pool cannon balls, but I wasn't impressed when Snot nose didn't save me when Baby face had me by the nose!!

Painting the treasure chest

Pirate Pete and Alyssa

The finished piece

The treasure

Boats??

Snots treasure
Baby face Jones

Captain Snot nose

Evil Captain Orange tash
Cardigan bay

Wide view in Pirate Pete's rock

Big Knickers bay

The ship
Playing with the treasure

Alyssa meets the locals

All tired out!
A great day of imagination, creativity, and counting the steps on the map!  Will have to remember all this for International Talk like a pirate day! Yes there really is one!! 19th September!

No comments:

Post a Comment